Chaton montees vs rose montees

Do you know the difference between the two montees? Do you like using them? Do you use them at all? Well, I do...

Montee is a French word, and none of the meanings is connected with jewelry making or the type of beads we are talking about. I love chaton montees, and I use them a lot in my patterns. I use mainly 4 mm beads, they give exactly the small sparkle I need to add to my jewels, not too much. And we know, sometimes less is more...
Some of my customers constantly ask me questions about chaton montees, and if they can be replaced by rose montees. My answer is no. And I have made some pictures to make it clear why.

1. The first is the chaton montee, the second is a rose montee. You see the difference. Chaton montee is thick, and there are 4 holes in the setting. Rose montee is flatter, and it has 4 holes, too, but the holes are crossing the back side of setting like a tube.
And this leads to the fact that chaton montees are more usable since you can go with your thread through the corner holes, as you can go through the cross holes, too. This makes it more playful in a pattern.
While, you can go through the rose montees only across, no other way. However, rose montees are easy to sew on flat surfaces, such as in case of bead embroidery, or they look great on flat peyote bracelets. While chaton montees are standing out and you have to hide them a bit with beads around.





2. I took out the cabochons from the settings for you to see how they look like. Chaton montee has a small chaton (the type of cabochon) inside. Rose montee has a flat back cabochon inside. I sometimes change the cabochons in case I need another color, but it is a hard job in case of beads of small size. You really need nerves for that. You also need a good source for nice colors. In case of rose montees you can use hotfix or to-glew-rhinestones, as well, though they are very expensive.






Megjegyzések